Saturday, May 28, 2016

WHAT SHOULD I SAY IN MY BOOK REVIEW?



When students are asked to do a report, either in high school or college, the inevitable question regarding its length is always asked.  My American Problems teacher had the best answer I have yet to hear.
Like a woman’s skirt – long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to make it interesting.
I write a lot of reviews on Amazon for a variety of products, including my favorite—books.  Amazon keeps bugging me, so eventually I have to give in and do it.  I’ve learned to keep my reviews honest, informative, and most important, short.  The reason for this is simple.
Attention spans are short.  Book reviews are many.  If you want someone to actually read what you’ve written, make it short and to the point.  Put yourself in the review reader’s place.  What does he or she want to know?
  1. Did the author make you forget you were reading a book? Did the story seem so real you were lost in the pages and couldn’t put it down?
  2. Did the characters grab you from the start and never let go?  Did you root for the hero or heroine?  Were you terrified of the villain?  Did the story interfere with your sleep?
  3. Did the plot move the story along?  Was it believable?  Did it start in the right place?  Were you satisfied with the ending?
  4. Would you recommend this book?  Buy another one by this author?
Remember, a book review is why you either liked or didn’t like the book, NOT a recap of the story.  That was done in the author’s blurb, and if the storyline hadn’t interested the reader, he or she wouldn’t be reading your review right now.
Happy review writing.

As always, I remain,
Jayne Nichols


No comments:

Post a Comment